Munia’s sister files GD seeking security

News Desk

The sister of Mosarat Jahan Munia, who is suspected to have committed suicide following instigation by Bashundhara Group Managing Director Sayem Sobhan Anvir, has filed a general diary (GD), citing death threats over phone.Nusrat Jahan Tania, who is also the plaintiff in a case started against Sayem over Munia’s death, filed the general diary with Kotwali police station in Comilla on Saturday, according to media reports.
According to the general diary, after filing the case against Sayem, some people in favour of the accused continued to press Nusrat and her family to withdraw the case or reach a settlement over the matter.
After she refused to drop the charges against him, some unknown persons called her several times from various mobile numbers from April 28 till the early hours of May 1 and threatened to kill the family members if they did not withdraw the case.
They also threatened to harass them, the plaintiff added in the complaint.
On April 26, Police recovered 21-year-old Munia’s body from a flat in Dhaka’s Gulshan area. It is suspected that she committed suicide.
A second-year student at Mirpur Cantonment Public School and College, Munia had been living in the flat, which Sayem had rented for her, since March.
Munia and Sayem had allegedly been in a secret relationship for the last two years.
Her sister Nusrat filed the case with Gulshan police station, several hours after finding her dead, accusing Sayem of abetting her suicide.
Meanwhile, a Dhaka court on April 27 imposed a travel ban on Sayem, barring him from leaving the country.
On 28 April, Sayem’s lawyer filed a petition with the High Court seeking anticipatory bail in the case. However, concerned High Court bench, the following day, announced that it would not hear any anticipatory bail until further notice due to Covid-19 situation in the country. So, hearing on Sayem’s bail plea was suspended as well.
Later at night on the same day, Sayem’s wife, children and two other members of his family left the country for Dubai on a chartered flight, said Group Captain AHM Touhid-ul Ahsan, director of Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka.
Meanwhile, some media outlets reported saying Sayem has left the country too, but police said Sayem is still here according to their immigration system information.