Dhaka – New Zealand have cancelled the tour of their Under-19 cricket team to Bangladesh which was scheduled for later this month.
Greg Barclay, the chairman of New Zealand Cricket, said both the boards agreed to call off the tour considering the circumstances after the attack on two mosques of Christchurch last month.
However, the series might be held before the next ICC Under-19 World Cup which is slated to be played in South Africa next year.
Nizamuddin Chowdhury, the chief executive officer of Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB), has said New Zealand took the decision considering the age of the cricketers who were supposed to tour Bangladesh.
“They are really young. Maybe, they are yet to get out from the nightmarish memory of Christchurch attack. At the same time, their parents are also reluctant to send their sons abroad at this time,” Nizamuddin told the media.
The horrible attack took the place on March 15 in two mosques in Christchurch, a city in New Zealand’s South Island. Bangladesh team were on their way to attend Jumma in one of those, Al Noor Mosque. They were just 50 yards away from the attack.
Right after the attack, the Bangladesh and New Zealand boards mutually called off the third and final Test of the series which was scheduled to be played in Christchurch from the next day.UNB