Andy Murray powers to Wimbledon final with Novak Djokovic

Andy Murray overcame a furious Centre Court row and a pantomime-villain Pole to reach the Wimbledon final.The British No 1 was livid when play was suspended at the end of the third set to close the £100m roof because of bad light.
He returned to beat Jerzy Janowicz 6-7 6-4 6-4 6-3 to set up a showdown with world No 1 Novak Djokovic on Sunday.
But the 29-minute delay came after the Scot had battled back from a break down to win five consecutive games to take the third set .
At 8.39pm, tournament referee Andew Jarrett then ordered the roof to be closed – causing the US Open champion to explode in fury.
As the Centre Court crowd booed, the Scot ranted: “You can’t close it now, it’s not even dark. There are 40 to 45 minutes of play left in this light.
“The only reason you are doing it is because of him. He’s been complaining about it for the last hour.
“This is an outdoor tournament. I don’t understand these rules, this is not fair.”
Janowicz, who wears contact lenses and struggles to see in poor light, had repeatedly asked for the roof to be shut.
Murray returned to win the fourth set in 35 minutes as the match finally finished at 9.37pm under the lights.
The world No.2 said: “I don’t know what the ruling is on it. I just feel that Wimbledon is an outdoor event and you should play outdoors until it is not possible to do that any more.
“It worked out OK for me in the end. But everybody would be angry – it’s just normal. It’s still very light outside. It was 8.40 when we stopped. There’s still 40 minutes to an hour to play.”
Janowicz admitted he had wanted the roof closed earlier.
“I asked I think in the beginning of the third set or maybe right after the second set,” he said. “I don’t care if he was angry or not.”
Former bad boy John McEnroe said: “I played 15 years and never won one argument. This guy (Janowicz) gets out there for the first time, says he wants the roof closed and, then all of a sudden, they are closing the roof.”
The Pole had earlier attracted his own booes from the Centre Court crowd by smashing his racket into the net in frustration. His double fault on the next point was then applauded.
On a glorious summer’s evening, the Polish No 24 seed took the first set on a tiebreak – aided by his 140mph serves. But Murray won the next two sets 6-4 to turn the momentum of the match his way. The match finished at 9.37pm.
The rules for the use of the roof state: “The Championship is an outdoor daytime event. Therefore, in good weather, the roof will only be used if it is too dark to play without it. The referee has ultimate control over the use of the roof and his decision is final.”
In his 13th Grand Slam semi-final, Murray reach his second consecutive Wimbledon final as he strives to become the first British winner since Fred Perry in 1936.
The match started late because Djokovic needed four hours and 43 minutes to beat Juan Martin Del Potro in the longest semi in Wimbledon history – a five-set epic immediately labelled a classic.
The hearts of the Centre Court crowd were stolen by the smiling and joking Argentine dubbed Del Boy by his fans.
But the 2011 Wimbledon ­champion got the serious job done of reaching his 11th Grand Slam final. And now the Serb superstar, who uses a special pressure chamber to recover from long matches, is looking forward to going the distance again.
The six-time Major winner, one of the fittest athletes on the planet, said: “It was one of the best matches I have been involved with. Definitely one of the most exciting.
“The positive thing in a way is that we played first match today – I still have time to recover.
“I’m not the first time in this situation. I was in worse situations actually before, like in Australian Open 2012, or several ­occasions where I managed to recover, managed to win the title in the final, managed to feel fresh and play another six hours. I’m ready and I’m looking forward to that.”
At the 2012 Australian Open, Djokovic took four hours and 40 minutes to defeat Murray in five sets on the Friday night.
The Serbian warrior then returned to the Rod Laver Arena less than 48 hours later to beat Rafa Nadal in five hours and 53 minutes – the longest final of all time.
Murray and Djokovic will now meet in their third Grand Slam final in nine months – the Scot having won in New York and the Serb in Melbourne.
And Djokovic, 26, who had not dropped a set before meeting the No.8 seed, reckoned his semi match could be perfect preparation.
“Absolutely,” he said. “I didn’t expect anything less, to be honest, because I was playing a player who didn’t drop a set throughout the tournament. A very great quality player, a Grand Slam winner.”
The first semi was equally brutal and beguilling.
When the 6ft 6in Del Potro unleashed his murderous forehand, it sounded like a cannon going off.
Djokovic had to scramble around in defence before returning fire.
During a thrilling fourth set tiebreak, the Argentine saved two match points – the first after an incredible rally which ended when he jokingly helped waft Djokovic’s lob over the baseline.
But the Serb, who specialises in winning long matches, prevailed 7-5 4-6 7-6 6-7 6-3.
Since winning the 2009 US Open, the Argentine has been afflicted by injuries but he showed his old form and a new playfulness on court – even jokingly hitting a ball against the Centre Court screen after a HawkEye challenge.
“I really enjoyed the match,” said the 24-year-old. “I played some unbelievable points, he played really well also.”
– Daily Mirror via Google

Leave a Reply