5 to die for murders in Ctg

Two courts here on Sunday awarded capital punishment to five people in two murder cases.  One court sentenced four people to death and life term imprisonment to five others for killing an old woman.
The condemned convicts are: Mokarram, Shah Alam, Alam’s wife Zohra Khatun and Shadidul Islam.
The five lifers — M Arif, Mintu Das, Saiful Islam, M Yunus, and Jahangir Alam — were also fined Tk 40,000 each, in default, to suffer in jail for another year.
All the convicts, residents of Chandnaish upazila, were present in the dock when the verdict was pronounced.
Third additional district and sessions judge La Mong acquitted four others as the prosecution failed to prove the charges brought against them.
According to the prosecution, Chemon Ara Begum, 58, mother of additional public prosecutor of metropolitan magistrate court Nazrul Islam, was killed by miscreants, hired by her neighbour Shah Alam, at Mujaffarabad village in Chandnaish upazila on November 10, 2009. After the killing, her body was left at a paddy field in the upazila.
The deceased’s son filed a case against seven people the following day.
After examining records and witnesses, the court pronounced the verdict.
In another incident, a tribunal court here today awarded death sentence to a youth in absentia for killing his girlfriend.
Judge of the speedy trial tribunal-1 Reza Tarik Ahmed also fined the youth, SM Toha Sourav, Tk 10,000 for killing his girlfriend Midat Sarima Rahman, 20, a student of East Delta University.
According to the prosecution, Sourav, a resident of the city, killed Midat, daughter of businessman Mizanur Rahman, a resident of the city’s OR Nizam Road, at a house at Amirbag Housing Society in the city’s Kotwali thana, on October 21, 2010 as she broke up with him.
Police later arrested the youth from Sitakunda upazila after the victim’s father filed a case.
Sourav went into hiding after securing bail from the High Court on October 25, 2012.
The case was transferred to the tribunal from a metropolitan magistrate court on January 17 last year.
After examining records and witnesses, the tribunal handed down verdict in absence of the convict. (Source: UNB)

Leave a Reply