Prothom Alo given legal notice to pay Taka 100mln reparation

Dhaka, Nov 3 – A legal notice was served to the National daily Prothom Alo yesterday, seeking Tk 10 crore as compensation over the death of Dhaka Residential Model College (DRMC) student Naimul Abrar Rahat, 14, a ninth-grader student of the institute. Supreme Court lawyer Faiz Ullah (Faiz), on behalf of Obaid Ahmed—a former student of the college—sent this notice to Prothom Alo Editor Matiur Rahman and other concerned persons.
Within three days of receiving the notice, the Prothom Alo publisher, editor and editor of Kishor Alo have been asked to compensate Tk 10 crore for the family of Naimul Abrar within seven days.
In the notice, the Information Secretary, Education Secretary and the Secretary of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources were also requested to take necessary steps to ensure special security measures and secure electricity connection before being allowed to organize such programs at the educational institutes.
The compensators have also been directed to provide an explanation regarding the incident within three days of receiving the notice.
Necessary legal steps will be taken if they fail to abide by the directives stated on the notice.
Earlier, The ill-fated boy, Naimul Abrar died from electrocution originating from a power generator during a programme organised by Kishor Alo, a publication meant for the young and juvenile readers of Bangla language daily Prothom Alo, on the college premises on Friday.
Students launched protests on the campus and formed a human chain in front of the college on the next day, blaming mismanagement by and negligence of the authorities concerned for Abrar Rahat’s death.
During the protest, students issued a 72-hour ultimatum, asking the college and Prothom Alo newspaper authorities to meet their four-point demand.
The college authorities have formed a 3-member committee to look into the unfortunate death of Abrar Rahat and the committee has been asked to submit the report within the next seven days.
Abrar Rahat was electrocuted behind the stage set up for the “Ki Ananda” programme. The organisers took him to Mohakhali’s Universal Medical College Hospital (formerly known as Aysha Memorial Specialised Hospital), where doctors declared him dead.
Later, the police handed over the body to the family without post mortem examination on their request. Abrar Rahat’s family, hailing from Noakhali district’s Sonamuri Upazilla, resides in Agargaon area of the capital. – Staff Reporter