The International Crimes Tribunal’s investigation agency has launched an inquiry into alleged war crimes committed by the then Bengali officers of the Pakistan Army in 1971, bdnews24.com reported Sunday.
Two persons have already been accused of crimes against humanity committed during the Liberation War, the report said quoting ICT Investigation Agency Chief Coordinator Abdul Hannan Khan has said.This is the first time that any army officer is being investigated for war crimes since the constitution of the tribunal seven years ago.
A large number of Bengali soldiers joined the war of resistance when the Pakistan Army began killing Bengalis on Mar 25, 1971. Many other Bengali officers were stranded in Pakistan.
But some of the Bengali officers of the Pakistan army joined hands with the Pakistani generals and their local collaborators – the Razakar, Al Badr, Al Shams forces – to wage war against their own men.
They include the two now being investigated. The duo have been accused of committing war crimes in Rangpur, Hannan Khan said.
He told a press conference at his office at Dhanmondi in Dhaka that some Bengali officers in the Pakistan Army allegedly committed war crimes in 1971.
“Now we’ve come to know about an incident. Some Bengali officers were involved in the incident of genocide in Rangpur,” he said, adding the initial investigation was complete.
“A case has been filed against them. One of them has been arrested while the other is on the run,” Hannan Khan said.
He did not reveal any more details since investigation was still ongoing.
Six persons have so far been hanged following the pronouncement of the verdict by the ICT on their war crimes. All of them were politicians – five from the Jamaat-e-Islami and one from the BNP.
The others convicted of war crimes are also from the Jamaat or Muslim League.
Hannan Khan said the investigation into war crimes allegations against new Jamaat chief, Maqbul Ahmed, was under way. “I hope we will be able to gather the evidence,” he said.
The ICT’s investigation agency called the conference to brief the media about the submission of the report on war crimes charges against 14 in Bagerhat. This is the 45th investigation report filed with the tribunal. Four of the 14 are in jail while the rest are absconding, – the report added.
