Kalam died due to torture, wife complains

Wife of Kalam Howladar, who died while in police custody in Gournadi
upazila on Monday, claimed that her husband died because of police
torture during remand.
Kalam Howladar, 42, an adopted son of Majid Howladar of Kamalapur
village under Gournadi upazila, had been kept on a ten-day remand in a
robbery case before his death.
Rashida Begum, wife of the victim, said police arrested Kalam from his
residence and sent him to jail after producing him before a court on
June 20.
Assistant Sub-inspector Swapan Kumar, investigation officer of the
case, appealed to the court to give Kalam a five days’ remand to
interrogate him but the court granted three days’ remand.
Kalam fell severely sick because of police torture during remand at
Gournadi police station and after his remand ended he was sent back to
Barisal central jail on June 28 giving him treatment under police
custody at Gournadi Upazila Health Complex, his wife alleged.
Then he was admitted to jail hospital and sent to Barisal SBMCH at
10:00 pm on July 8 after his condition deteriorated and he died there
within half an hour of his admission, hospital sources said.
However, Abul Kalam, officer-in-charge of Gournadi police station, and
ASI Swapan Kumar, investigation officer of the case, denied any
torture on Kalam after his arrest and during remand.
The police officials claimed Kalam was an asthma patient and given
treatment at Gournadi Upazila Health Complex and Barisal jail
He was taken back to jail after attending the hearing of the case in
the court on Monday in normal condition and was rushed to SBMCH after
he suddenly felt sick in jail at night and died there from asthma
attack, said the police officials.
Meanwhile, a pall of gloom descended upon the native village of Kalam
after his body reached there Tuesday afternoon.
Family members of Kalam said they would file a case for lodging the
‘false’ robbery case against him (Kalam) and for killing him in
custody through torture. -UNB, Barisal

Leave a Reply